Hello Knit Friends,
I have discovered an obsession to sock knitting several months ago. I have completed my fifth pair and I’m just getting warmed up. Last weekend I jokingly made fun of a heel knitting technique. I commented on a knitting group board that I wasn’t going to try a particular technique because it was over 4 pages long. So now I am politely eating my words as I printed out the directions. The finished projects look nice with this heel technique so I think I should just take a chance. The jury is still out on the outcome of the technique, but I will share soon about how I feel about it.
Why am I so crazy for socks? Here are 3 GREAT reasons
- Too many Ravelry sock knitalongs (KALs).Foxes in Socks and Stitch Addiction (view episode 73) podcasts is sponsoring a Single Skein wonder KAL for September 1-30, 2015. Some yummy prizes.
- Sock Challenges
- Found a new challenge Sock Sniper. IT’s for a great cause. I don’t know how I discovered it, but it is really cool. It’s almost like a mission impossible and death by knitting. You make a small contribution, receive a doisser, a pattern, then mail it to ‘the target’. The only extra challenge is that it is a global wide challenge. A great benefit is that you can sign up as a non-combatant participant and still get to see the actions of everyone around you. I hope to participate next year as an active agent. Here are the FAQs here. Deadline for sign ups: Registration will close on August 23, 2015 at Midnight (Central Time US) and for Non-Combatants on August 31 at midnight. Battle will commence on September 1, 2015.
- Yarn Clubs– There are so many yarn clubs. Madelinetosh has both a yarn club and sweater club (Magnolia Society)– I have done the yarn club for the last two years. I like Madelinetosh because you get to vote on which colorway group that you choose. A new yarn club company I discovered is called Northbound Knitting (NKB). NBK has 6 separate yarn clubs which are open now. There are many more yarn clubs and a great way to justify ‘growing your stash’ organically. I also like getting small prizes throughout the year and being surprised.
So knitting friends…what’s share some of your joyful sock knitting moments? Is there a knitting sock technique that has you hooked? What’s your go-to sock yarn? What’s your all-time favorite sock book? Who is your favorite sock knit designer?
My Sock Favorites:
- Yarn club: Madelinetosh (Magnolia Society)
- Joyful Sock memory: modifying a sock pattern (heel) Almondine Socks
- Sock Yarn: Tempting Ewe (local yarn)
- Sock Pattern: Rose City Roller
- Favorite Sock Book: Socktopus by Alice Yu
- Latest Sock book acquisition: Custom Knit Socks
- Sock Designer: Kate Atherley